LFT Scholarship Winners
LFT Monday Memo
Hope you all had a great 3 day weekend. We are almost to the end of the 2019-2020 school year – congratulations on the work completed and the new practices that are now part of your professional tool belt. We have all accomplished quite a bit of ‘new learning’ and ‘new practices’.
LFT Site Representatives are needed for 2020-2021: LFT has at least 1 site rep at most sites. We are asking for another member from EVERY site to raise their hand and help your Union by attending meetings and bringing forward ideas to the LFT membership and elected Board.
- Ideally each elementary school would have a lower and upper grade LFT representative.
- High schools and the middle schools should have 2 to 3 representatives ideally.
- By having more representatives your site would be better informed and represented in the event of a representative absence due to a schedule conflict.
- Thank you for your consideration in choosing this VITAL role for the next school year.
- If you are interested please contact your current site representative and/or Carol Arnerich at firstname.lastname@example.org by this Friday May 29
- LFT will set up a new updated rep list and inform membership of the changes this summer. Thank you!
255 members voted last week on the proposed contract changes. LFT’s new three year contract was approve by a 95.7% yes vote.
The tentative agreements and the MOU’s will be taken to the LUSD Board of Education meeting this evening.
- Monday– No School Memorial Day Holiday Observed
- ‘LFT Monday Memo’ sent out today due to holiday
- 5/ 26 La Canada (12:00) Q and A re: proposed bell schedule
- FYI: The elementary bell schedule voting results from last week were:
- Buena Vista – Their vote passed- 87.5% for the new schedule.
- Fillmore – Their vote passed- 100% for the new schedule.
- Migueltio- Their vote passed- 100% for the new schedule.
- 8 elementary sites have voted- La Canada votes Friday
- LFT Negotiating Team meets at 3:30 pm via Zoom
- LUSD Board Meeting 5:50 pm via Zoom
- LFT Site Rep Meeting Zoom Meeting this week 2:30 pm – CHANGE in TIME
- Voting via Survey Monkey – La Canada – Thursday through Friday at 2 pm.
- Friday: CFT’s Tele-Town halls on Facebook live 3:00
LUSD School Board of Education Meetings:
- Meeting: Tonight – May 26th at 5:30 pm via Zoom
Join Zoom Meeting
+14086380968,,708205235# US (San Jose)
Next LUSD School Board Meetings:
- June 09 5:30 p.m. Education Center Board Room
- June 23 5:30 p.m. Education Center Board Room
- August 11 5:30 p.m. Education Center Board Room
LFT’s Website: https://lompocfederationofteachers.org/
- Please use this a resource for union-related information. Thank you.
LFT Leadership has summer collaboration with the District scheduled:
- The District proposed 2 dates: Skyler, Tom, Cindy, Margaret and Lodene will be LFT’s representatives in these meetings.
- Dates will be June 17th and July 15.
LFT do expect and anticipate additional meetings prior to early August re: next year plans that will be derived from multiple groups: the Superintendent’s reopening committee, stakeholders’ surveys, the Centers for Disease Control, the California Department of Education, the Santa Barbara County Office of Education and The Federal Government.
- New teacher orientation dates will be August 3 and 4th
- The District has hired 57 new teachers
- 13 vacancies exist in Special Education with 2 offers pending.
Attendance through Q:
- LFT worked with LUSD Educational Services on taking attendance in Q for our membership who requested this; mainly our secondary teachers. Special thanks to the LUSD ‘Tech Team’ who performed quick work; our membership appreciates all those involved in getting this accomplished.
Membership information over the summer and emails:
- During the summer a majority of our members are ‘off contract’ however in the face of COVID 19… LFT has a recommendation…
- You can still check emails at least once per week. This is not required by either the District or LFT. (You can change the settings and notifications on your email.)
Superintendent’s Reopening Committee:
- Thank you to the members who have agreed to be on this important committee. They have been meeting regularly and will continue through the summer. Should you have ideas and suggestions please reach out to those individuals listed in the attachment to the emailed Monday Memo.
LFT would like to remind members of the importance of completing the U.S. Census. The Census, which is conducted only every ten years, apportions Congressional representatives and determines the allocation of billions of federal, state, and local dollars and other resources. In our current economic climate, the Census matters more than ever, so please be sure to complete the Census if you have not already done so. For more information, please visit: https://www.aft.org/census2020
|Census 2020 | American Federation of Teachers Due to COVID-19 affecting communities and operations across the country, the 2020 Census self-response phase (the time in which people can complete the census online, by phone or by mail) is extended to October 31, 2020. The 2020 Census is something you can do right now from the comfort of your home. Go to my2020census.gov to ensure your community is accurately counted! http://www.aft.org|
Closing Comments by Carol Arnerich, LFT Executive Director:
These are dark times for everyone, lots of fear and anxiety about how we will ever return to normal. We will need to create a new normal. There’s light at the end of the tunnel.
Have a good week LFT !
LFT President and La Honda Kindergarten Teacher